Youth With a Mission (YWAM) is a set of Christian values and beliefs practically applied in a Divine Calling.
The ‘YWAM Calling’ requires a lifestyle of:
- Prayer – to walk closely with God in order to hear His voice.
- Worship – to praise God in all that we do.
- Faith – to believe God for what seems impossible.
- Missions – to recognise that others are waiting for the answers God provides and to reach out to them in both gospel ministry and humanitarian service – to love people as Christ loves us.
- Volunteerism – to seek to serve one another and not to advance one’s own position or assets – our reward is in heaven.
- Integrity and Holiness – to be morally upright in all interactions.
- Humility – to work for the good of others.
- Biblical Consistency – to practice the standards taught in the Bible.
- Practical Application – to live knowing that love is not true love unless there is application.
At the core of YWAM is the value, “To know God and to Make Him known”. This statement is the essence of the YWAM belief system or “worldview”. We are called to ‘Love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and then to love our neighbour as ourselves’. YWAM is both the belief and the practical application of that belief.
A person who understands and embraces YWAM values, because they feel they are able to enter into this calling, is called a YWAMer. Anyone who embraces and practically applies this YWAM ‘DNA’ can become a YWAMer.
YWAM is not a club, institution, company, trust, denomination, structural formation, group of ministries, family or organisation. It is a unique, Christian practice of faith with clearly defined values.
YWAM is a revolutionary faith idea/concept – that a person can know, for themselves, that they are called to do God’s work regardless of whether various religious institutions/churches/structures approve of that calling.
A Discipleship Training School (DTS) is a course that offers participants an in-depth opportunity to learn about YWAM values. The course consists of three months of lectures where a number of speakers teach on subjects such as:
- How to grow intimately close to God
- How to worship God with your whole heart
- How to hear God speaking to you
- How to treat your neighbour in a loving way
- How to walk in humility in all you do
- How to study the bible
- How to trust God
- How to recognise the need in your environment and community.
An Outreach is an amazing opportunity for participants to volunteer their time in order to practically apply their training. Outreach participants work in teams to benefit communities in need both locally and overseas. Often their experiences are so incredible, that the participant’s entire ‘world view’ changes. What was once materially important, now fades in comparison to the needs of others in the community and the love God has for them. Participants also often use this incredible experience to obtain future work with NGO’s around the world.